Monday, November 12, 2012

The Work of Salvation


So a few highlights from this week...

Sister Reeves, from the General Relief Society Presidency, came to Singapore this week and did a series of conferences. It was so great! There was a YSA Family Home Evening she did, along with Elder Wilson who I believe is in the area seventy here in in the Asia area. They also did a Leader-Member Meeting the following night--we all went to both, and brought new members/investigators. Sister Reeves talked about family roles, faith and sacrifice within the family, and holding fast to the standards in the For the Strength of Youth pamphlet (everyone should read it--this year's new revised version is incredible). It was great! Elder Wilson discussed using media to do missionary work. They also introduced us to Come, Follow Me: the new youth curriculum which looks AMAZING! I want to be a Young Women's leader so badly!!! I think that will be my dream calling when I am no longer a missionary. Youth teachers in the church will really have to step it up, but it will be SO good. It will be updated so frequently so that it's current and relevant to what is happening now, and based on recent Conference messages... ah! So great!

After the Family Home Evening, Sister Reeves went around and talked to people... she talked to me and Sister Ballantyne and honestly I have now forgotten what she said, but I remember my impression of her. She is so pure. Her face radiates light. She is a woman of virtue and integrity and strength and joy. I admire her a lot. She has thirteen children! I just got my Conference Ensign (YEAH!) so I get to go back and read the talk she gave at the General Relief Society meeting. It will be different reading that now that I have met her and her husband! 

Elder Wilson and I had a short chat as well--all of the General Authorities are interested in my name. :) I love it because it always leads us to the topic of the growth of the Church in India. So uplifting and hopeful.

Another highlight of the week was going into the family history center (with an investigator). It was cool for the investigator (Pei, who is getting baptized this week after over a year of investigating the Church) to see Sister Ballantyne's lines that go back to Adam--she was able to open those up and show him. It was cool.

I opened my account for the first time, and now I am so glad that I got to familiarize myself with the new.familysearch.org website so I feel more comfortable telling people about it. I connected my family tree with names that my mom has so diligently worked on, and got to see names of my ancestors who still need work done for them, and for some who have already received a chance to get the blessings of the Temple. As I looked over those names, I suddenly had some very deep, spiritual feelings that I wasn't expecting to feel. I felt my Savior's love very strongly. I felt connection to my family, and love and concern for their welfare. I felt feelings that normally I only feel in the Temple. It was humbling and edifying. I know that this is the Lord's work. Family History work is missionary work. It is the work of salvation. I am grateful to be able to participate. The Gospel is true.

Sister Gopinath

No comments:

Post a Comment