Thursday, June 14, 2012

Peaceful

This week... I don't have a ton of updates because I've actually been sick for the last three days. My stomach was fine when I was on Borneo, but for some reason here I've had more trouble. I'm getting better now (I think) but I haven't eaten anything in a while. Yesterday, Anton (the Chinese Anton) bought me some traditional Chinese herbal medicine that I took. I feel all right :) It was kind of fun to take traditional Chinese medicine. It smelled nice :) I think they were called Po Chin pills? Maybe that's wrong.

We had a cool day yesterday. We were finally were able to go out (after almost 2 days of me having to stay in), and we met with a referral from some other missionaries. His name is Freddy and he has a cool story. He was raised in the traditional Chinese religion (not Buddhism... I'm not sure what it is though), but he has 3 kids and he and his wife wanted them to learn English. So every Sunday they would take their kids to a Christian church, so they could learn English. They did that for years, just waiting outside or running errands until their kids were finished. But a few years ago, Freddy told us, he started to "feel something" about Christianity. I asked him what it felt like, and he said, "Peaceful." So for a long time, he has been visiting different Christian churches with his wife and children. A few weeks ago, they visited the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. Freddy is interested. We talked a lot about the Book of Mormon and the lifestyle of the members, how it promotes strong families. He talked about how he gave up gambling when his children were born, which was really cool to hear. We talked a lot about families. Now it just all depends on whether or not the Book of Mormon is true. He is really humble and sensitive to the Spirit, seeking truth, so I know he will get a testimony of the Book of Mormon. And then he will lead his family in the right path (his children have told him they want to be baptized into a Christian church). We will work to make sure that happens. It was a really cool lesson.

Also, later that day we got a phone call from a random number. I answered and a guy said, "I want to join Christianity. Is that something I can do?" I gave him an emphatic "yes" and we are meeting him soon. 

The knowledge of a Savior is spreading throughout every nation. Like a stone cut without hands this great work will roll forth. It's humbling to stand at the front lines and see it happening. I know that the Savior lives and that His Atonement is real and has infinite healing power.

Sister Gopinath

No comments:

Post a Comment